From sterilizing to licking off the subway floor

My favorite blogger, next to me of course, is Blunderdad (singlefamilyasylum).  Who, by the way, better give me major props for promoting him here.  Anywho, I read a recent post from him about parenting his kids….well you should read if for yourselves.  It got me thinking about my own kids and if I was more uptight raising my first than the next ones.

Here’s the thing.  When my first daughter was born, if her pacifier fell on the clean floor I would sterilize it.  I would think to myself that the diapers (cloth, of course, because they were “better” for her than the disposables…except she got a rash so there went that idea) were difficult to deal with, but sterilizing pacifiers all day was a pain in the neck.  But what a good mother I was.

By the time my second daughter came around, pacifiers were sterilized….occasionally.  I only felt a little guilty about washing them off in the sink.  I wasn’t as crazy about it because #1 daughter was literally eating dirt outside by that time, so I figured I had gone a little overboard on the sterilizing the first time around.  But then I’d worry that there might be soap residue from washing that would upset the baby’s stomach.  So I’d watch every burp to see if it became a bubble floating across the room.  What a good mother I was.

By the time my son was born, I was dragging three kids around wherever I went.  On a museum trip to NYC (who in their right mind would take 3 kids aged 7 to 0 on a trip that involved trains, subways and cabs and would never be remembered by any of them??), I was juggling kids, stroller, lunch bags, diaper bag, purse, toys and……..on the subway floor plopped the pacifier.  Uh oh.  Screaming baby. Decision made. I picked it up and licked it before putting it back in his mouth.  He was happy, I was grossed out.  But what a good mother I am.

This entry was posted in humor, parenting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to From sterilizing to licking off the subway floor

1. George says:

I think you’re no different than the rest of us with multiple children. The progression, or regression, as the case may be, on so many levels is fairly consistent. Because who among us can maintain that same level of first child commitment for all those many years. Surely not I. 😳

2. Glazed says:

Oh, the sacrifices a mother makes. When your son is a grown adult, be sure to remind him from time-to-time how you licked his pacifier clean. This will be a devastating arrow in your quiver of guilt.

3. Blunderdad says:

Thank you for the shout out!!!’ I am thrilled to be someone’s favorite blogger!

I’m afraid of what I might have done in that situation. The thought of licking it off myself grosses me out as well, so would I have let the child lick off their own pacifier? I hate think . . . .

4. Ritu says:

I totally understand there you’re coming for with this! I was beyond careful with my first, Lil Man, and with Lil Princess, the standards dropped! But I’m still a good mum!!!

5. pattyalcala says:

I absolutely loved this post. It brought me right back to the days when my children were little ones. My first was adopted so you can just imagine. I had to do everything perfect. Then, surprise, one baby after another. Wow I was overwhelmed. Thanks for the post.

6. Mama says:

Haha! I’m only on my first and have always been a “pacifier” (*ahem-dummy=ahem*) sucker. See- I’m ahead of the game! What a good mummy I am!

PS. sane teachers is an oxymoron, right (*Disclaimer: also a teacher)

7. Carrie Rubin says:

We definitely ease up on things with each subsequent child. And that includes photo-taking. My youngest has noticed fewer videos and pics of him exist. Oops.

haha My son, who is the youngest, asked me the other day where are all his pictures? We definitely have some, but not like his older sisters. And I’m the baby in my family and there are like 6 photos of me.

8. jan says:

You’re a good mother – I’m just amazing that after licking the subway floor you’re still here with us!

I didn’t actually lick the floor….just whatever amount adhered to the pacifier in the x number of seconds before I dive-bombed for it. I like to think that it was nothing more than 5 seconds. I’m blaming my gray hair on that episode, though. Thank you!

9. Ha-ha-ha…
    No way I’d lick the pacifier! What about using a whipe?

10. So many parents start out doing everything by the book (so to speak), but gradually I think we all come to realize “Hey, our kids are none the worse for the small shortcuts (pacifiers not being boiled after hitting the ground) we take.”