If I lived to be 150, and had unlimited resources, maybe I could visit all the places I would like to visit. A lot of them start with the letter S. Odd, I know, but I’m a little Strange and EcSentric, okay Silly, too. I’ll Stop now.
I noticed a pattern. The letter “S.” Here goes:
1. Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA – on top of my list. It has been the setting for a number of stories and books that I have read and sounds beautiful. I’ve researched it and it looks beautiful. I’m very interested in indigenous cultures and Santa Fe is the home to the Jicarillo Apache Nation, the Mescalero Apache Reservation and part of the Navajo Nation. I will write more in the future about native reservations and the horrors that took place in our history. At any rate, this is why Santa Fe, New Mexico is at the top of my list.
2. Seattle, Washington, USA – While I love a sunny day, I usually prefer cloudy days. It has to do with my eyes which are sensitive to light. So, while visiting my in-laws in Florida I squint like crazy and try to get out of the sun. I think Seattle is the place for me. The forests, islands and bay (bays?) are breathtaking. But the real reason? The show I’ve been binge watching on Netflix, “The Killing.” The city looks biggish but not too biggish and the scenery is fabulous. Yes, I want to visit a place where fictional horrors took place.
3. Senegal, Africa – A friend at work, as well as some of my students and community members I know, are from Senegal. They bring the country alive for me and talk about the changes that the French colonial power wrought on this land. They talk about the impact of religion and the people, such as my colleague, who are bringing technology into the schools there and literally changing lives.
Now, I have a feeling that because I am interested in these cities, states and countries, you may not be at all. So, to help you not to doze off or horror of horrors, stop reading this post, I’m going to just list the rest and you can figure out why I am attracted to these locales. It will be like a game show.
4. Spain – I’m cheating here because I’ve already been a couple of times but would never tire of visiting again.
6. Sitka, Alaska, USA
8. Saskatchewan, Canada
10. San Francisco, California, USA
Any guesses? Any places you recommend that I should add?