In A Non-Niche Niche

When I started this blog, I intended it to be about teaching.  Particularly about the crazy things that happen in a classroom that are wholly unexpected and that education courses never talk about.  Which would make a pretty good college course, actually. And I thought would be my niche.

The Oxford Dictionary defines niche as “Denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.”

Here’s a recent conversation with a student that wouldn’t have made it into a teaching methods textbook.  But would attract the teacher niche.reading event

Student:  Will the school find out if I break something important?

Me:  Yes, they will.

Student:  How will they find out?

Me:  Well, you just told me.

Student slams down his book bag and walks away because I’m mean.

Me: *sigh*

And there have been a kazillion teaching experiences that have kept me sane in my profession.  Such as the pride I felt when a former student of mine came back to visit and speak to my classes about how his high school experiences steered him towards a successful career in the military while getting his college degree.

But what I quickly found is that I really want to write about anything that interests me. My non-niche.

So while I started out thinking that my audience would be the teacher/student/education niche, I quickly realized that I have no niche.  Or several niches.

In all areas of our lives, we either evolve, devolve or remain stagnant.  Just ask anyone who is in a relationship.  One hopes that the relationship evolves into something mutually gratifying, intellectually stimulating and emotionally supportive.  Or a combination of the three.  But for all the people who have evolved within their relationship, there are a lot of people who have devolved, or their relationship has devolved.  Just ask anyone who has been in a divorce.

Writing is the same.  Whether writing for a large audience or for a teacher, one hopes that his/her writing evolves.  And while I would love for each of you to go back to my first couple of blog posts, I realize that my writing has evolved since then.  If you don’t agree with me, feel free to keep those comments to yourselves, ha.

So what are other niches to which I hope to appeal?  United NationsThe love of, and interest in, the Kichwa/Quechua culture is definitely one.  I WAS INVITED TO THE UNITED NATIONS TO REPRESENT MY SCHOOL DISTRICT AND HOW COOL IS THAT!

But what has become the most important change in my writing is finding a niche in my memoir essays.  It has been said that we are our past, present and future.  We find answers to the present in remembering the past.

locket with my brothers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to In A Non-Niche Niche

1. tj6james6 says:

Niches, lol. I do have a niche site which is slowly devolving from that. I also have a non-niche site and it was set up to be that way because I do have a lot of different interests, encompassing many different things.
    From my different book and television fandoms to interesting articles to something I found on facebook or Reddit which I found cool or interesting or way out there.

2. Val says:

I think all blogs evolve and change into something else over time – how could they not when they are authored by complex animals called human beings? And I think it’s important, when a blog is in the visible process of changing, not to try to define its future shape too much.

3. JaDonnia B. says:

So cool! Great post and very ‘sane’ too.

4. Sheila Moss says:

It seems to me that writing about one topic would get pretty boring after a while.

5. A great post! I am a supervisory paraprofessional at a middle school so I know the endless number stories that can come from that. But having a lot of eclectic interests to write about? Ah, the “spice of life”. I always enjoy your posts! 🙂

When I started my blog, I was going to write only about the issues of being middle aged, and I pictured my audience being exclusively middle-aged women. And while that’s still “home base,” my blog has evolved into writing about all areas of my life, and my readers are a very diverse bunch (which is great.) So I agree, the idea of a “niche” is rather fluid. Your blog is very interesting, and personally, I enjoy the variety of topics!

7. Jenny says:

When I started my blog I thought my niche would be that I’d chat about gardening over the garden fence as if my audience was my neighbour. You describe writing evolution so well. I was drawn to your saneteachers blog chat because though I have retired from that I still appreciate the in-school humour of the situations. I now tend to seize on a moment and expand on that. Do enjoy reading your posts. :).

Thank you, Jenny. I love your blog because I feel as if we are in your yard and you’re pointing things out over a cup of coffee or tea. And because the flora and fauna of your country is so unique to me, I wish I could sit while you explain what everything is. But I have your lovely photos 🙂

I always chuckle when I come across a new blog and read their first post where they say specifically what they are going to talk about. I just think to myself, they have no idea that they won’t stick this “plan” a few months from now.

9. Barb Knowles says:

Paul, I only lasted 4 posts ha.

10. I have found that I can have a “nitch” (Americanized English), or a “neesh” (French) but don’t want to be Nietzsche (German), because that would be so darkly negative.

11. This really hits home.

The girls wanted to write only on the science subject, but as time goes by other interest are peaking their interest.

We shall see.