Give It To Myself aka Frankenhand

I HATE it when someone uses pronouns incorrectly.  My pet peeve pronoun is the reflexive pronoun.  Myself, yourself, themselves, etc.  Professional people screw this up all the time.  “Please give it to myself.”

NOOOOOOoooooo. You are using “myself” as an indirect object pronoun!  Hellooooo.

This pronoun reflects back to the person doing the action.  I washed it myself.  But I gave it to him.  Not to himself.  Only he can give it to himself.

Let’s go with a really clear example.  Last night I heated a frozen pizza, per instructions, in my oven at 400 degrees.  After precisely 17 minutes, I turned off the oven, took a pot holder and opened up the oven.

As I removed the metal baking sheet, it slipped out of my hand and I instinctively grabbed it with my left hand.  No pot holder.  400 degrees.

Frankenhand

Frankenhand

I did it to myself.  Frankenhand.

This entry was posted in humor, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Give It To Myself aka Frankenhand

1. ouch, hurts just to think of it.

When you started talking about the pizza I thought to myself, “she’s been reading my blog too much” because that paragraph sounded like something I’d write. Especially the “precisely 17 minutes”. I’m proud of you.

As for burning your hand, I’ve been squirming since you told me about it last night.

3. lorriedeck says:

Ouch!! I have no idea how you typed this. Hope it feels better soon!

4. Ouch, burns are horrible. My pet grammar peeve is “Her and I”! Heal quickly!

5. Pingback: Frankenhand and the Frozen Pizza | The Zen Hiker

6. Sheila Moss says:

Sounds very painful, and it had to happen right at Christmas too. Hope it heals well and you are not one-handed too long. If it throbs, hold it up and that should help some.

7. Sheila Moss says:

Good news! Glad you went to doctor.

Oh, I’m so sorry! That does look painful, and probably very inconvenient as well, since it’s your hand.

Okay, let’s get down to what is really important. Did you save the pizza?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Sorrier still that you burned you hand. Hope it doesn’t take too long to heal.

10. Val says:

Ouch. I’m sorry you hurt yourself. (Do people really say “please give it to myself”? Wow! )
    I’m also having problems typing as I hurt my wrist and arm recently, but it doesn’t stop us, does it? 🙂 English is a strange language…

11. Scott says:

Sorry about your ouch. I guess you are a teacher? I used to attend writing groups and we met a few teachers. They slowed us down. :-).

About a year ago one of my granddaughters came to me with a writing problem. I knew her professor followed different rules. I didn’t have any rules, so I was unable to lend her a hand.

What can one say? just ouch 😦

It’s almost completely healed because of this miracle cream the doctor used which can only be gotten by prescription. I’m able to just use bandaids today. Thank you for your concern and not laughing at my clumsiness, lol.

13. tj6james6 says:

Owie! Hope it feels better.
    Every so often I’ll do a pet peeves post and since I beta for fanfiction and the occasional published author I have a host of them, lol.
    The biggest, right now, is the misplaced comma! (Or far, far too many of them.)
    I was taught that a comma goes where it feels natural to take a breath, and that’s what I do.
    Another one is the me/I he/him conundrum! It’s amazing how many writers do not think about it. My rule of thumb is: if the single pronoun sounds right without the other person then that’s the one to use. A lot don’t go by that *sigh*
    ie. Me and him went to the fair on Saturday. Correct version: He and I went to the fair on Saturday.
    The both make my OCD readers mind cringe.

14. bluestempond says:

Sorry about the burn – I do that kind of thing frequently. However, I have noticed that using “myself” instead of “me” has become so common that it is starting to sound correct. Such as, “Please return the form to myself or my office.” Ugh. I feel like such a crank to be bugged by it but come on.

15. OUCCCHHH!!! That bloody hurts! I hope the bandage looks worse than it actually is/was.
    My grammar’s not that fantastic, but that use of “give to myself”does sound jarring!