Thanks to all of my readers who gave so many fabulous suggestions of favorite books, poems and authors, in response to my post An Embarrassing Personal Admission. I thought I would share some of the suggestions here, so you might find a new author or title. I have read a number of these, but a lot are brand new to me.
You have shared way more than I can reasonably put in one post, so here is Part 1.
- Hidden Figures by Margo Lee Shetterly
- Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
- Everything ever written by Gabriel García Marquez (that’s not a title, I just love everything I’ve ever read by him). The title suggested was One Hundred Years of Solitude
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- Thoughts on Death, a poem by Stirling A. Brown
- Toni Morrison
- Maya Angelou
- Farewell to Manzanar by James D. Houston and Jean Wakatsuki Houston (about life in a U.S. internment camp)
- Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Co.:A Road Novel with Literary License by María Amparo Escandón
Thank you again for these wonderful recommendations. Please let me know if this list inspires you to try something new and let all of us know if you give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.