How cool of a Valentine special is this?! I thought as an antidote to the chocolatey, mushy Valentine stuff, it would be fun to throw in an unsweet, unmushy topic.
Let’s hear it for Worst Fictional Characters Ever! For me, that means those that I like the least. Not evil (necessarily).
We’ll go for Top 5, okay?
1. Holden Caulfield. Althoughe this fictional character says in the book The Catcher in the Rye, “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it,” which is my favorite quote ever, I can’t stand Holden Caulfield. I understand teenage angst….I once was a teenager and I have taught teenagers for almost 20 years. But really? I can’t. I just can’t with Holden.
2. Jay Gatsby. Do I have to say more? Shallow, obnoxious, bleeeeeeech. I don’t like him or the novel he rode in on. Let the record reflect that unlike me, my husband loves The Great Gatsby. Is it a guy thing?
3. Ramsey Bolton from Game of Thrones. His smile makes his insane evilness more perfect, but he is such a despicable character. He’s supposed to be despicable, though. Holden Caulfield and Jay Gatsby are not. But I could have nightmares about Ramsey Bolton.
4. Daenerys Targaryen. I know, I know. I’m the only person in the entire world who doesn’t like her. Throughout the A Song of Ice and Fire books I thought her storyline was the most boring. DON’T THROW TOMATOES AT ME. Even I don’t understand why. I love the medieval aspect of the George R.R. Martin series. I felt that the storylines in the exotic locales featuring Daenerys should have been in another book. In the HBO series, the dragons are completely cool and I see, now that her storyline is meshing with the Westeros Houses, it could be good. I’m the biggest GoT fan alive, but that character never interested me.
5. Scarlett O’Hara. And I thought I was spoiled. She must be a character that I love to hate, because I’ve read Gone With The Wind more than once. I totally get that she’s a product of her time and upbringing and that she has strength and willfulness. But she’s too much.
Man, does this whole thing sound negative!! Who are in your Top 5 of Worst Characters Ever?
Okay guys…..let it rip.