Did My Parents Laugh?

Lying in bed last night, I realized something.  I don’t ever remember hearing my parents laugh.  They smiled a lot, but I don’t remember them laughing.  I can immediately call to mind the sound of all four of my grandparents laughing, even my taciturn grandfather. I smile automatically when I think of my brothers laughing.  But not my parents.

Did they stop laughing because by the time I came along their relationship was not one that inspired laughter?  My father definitely did not have a sense of humor.  If my brothers and I ever told jokes 1) he wouldn’t get them and 2) he’d be annoyed.  And as we all know, nothing ruins a good joke more than having to explain it.

My mother was sort of just physically there, more than emotionally there, when I was growing up, so maybe that’s why I don’t remember her laughing.

My family now has conversations where we laugh so hard that tears form.  Holiday dinners, even with the stress that every family on earth feels with holiday gatherings, still end up with memories and shared stories of when our kids were little and the room fills with laughter.

My husband can be in the living room watching a movie and laughing so hard that I go in to see what’s up.  I can burst out laughing reading a book, an article or a blog so loudly that it startles my husband who is sitting next to me.

Laughter is a great healer.  I hope I’m wrong.

I hope that my parents laughed.

This entry was posted in family, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Did My Parents Laugh?

1. It always seems to me unhealthy if a person doesn’t ever laugh. Maybe I’m too judgmental, but it seems like it suggests they either have some emotional problem or are under a horrible amount of stress all the time.

(Example; I don’t think I’ve ever seen Trump laugh. He smirks a lot, but doesn’t laugh.)

So, I hope your parents laughed, too.

It was so strange when I realized that. My brothers are probably thinking what are you talking about?? They are a lot older than I am so had different relationships with my parents. But it’s so odd I don’t remember that. And you’re right about Trump.. Bush laughed often, Obama laughed….not Trump.

“..or a blog so loudly that it startles my husband who is sitting next to me.”
    Oh? Do tell. Haha

3. annieg421 says:

I once woke myself up laughing from a funny dream I was having. I sat in bed laughing about it for 10 minutes then went back to sleep😂😂😂

4. And I am thankful that we also get a lot of laughtrer at work (and not just from our colleagues!).

5. Bel says:

I hope they laughed too. It kinda made me sad to think about it…what is life without laughter right?

6. Wow Barb. This paints such a sad image. I can almost feel the weight of that silent burden around an awkward business-like dinner table.

Glad to hear that everyone else in your family isn’t plagued with this curse.

Ha! No, the laughing genes were definitely given to my sibs and me. I’m not saying they never laughed, it’s just I don’t remember it. Dinner table is another story. That will be in my memoir when I ever finish it. Thank you for reading this! Today is my day to catch up on my blog reading. Plus I can read more when we’re snowed in on Tuesday. Major blizzard coming our way the last I checked.

• That’s great Barb (on all counts). I think there might be a post or two on my end of the blogosphere that might give u a chuckle should you find yourself in need of a few extra as you enjoy the snow.

I’m really jealous of your extended winter. Feel free to send any leftovers my way😝

Winter is just starting here, oddly, as we have had record high temps the whole winter, it seems. So I’m very happy to see the snow now. Even though I’m the great indoorswoman, I love watching it fall while drinking hot chocolate or coffee. Plus we get time off from school! And still get paid! Woohoo!! As long as everyone is safe.

Better not dwell on the non-laughter, just keep your laughter in your heart and keep sharing it 🙂

I couldn’t imagine life without laughter.

I know. I’m sure they did and I just don’t remember it. I came late into the marriage and I don’t think that their lives were very happy then. As I said before, this may astonish my older brothers and they may think I’m completely wrong. I can only go by my memories.

Oh, Barb that is so sad. I hope your parents laughed too, at least at one time. My early family life wasn’t without it’s issues, but one thing that did help was we all had a good sense of humor. Humor makes everything so much more bearable, and nothing brings people closer than a shared laugh!

I feel like every time you comment, my response to you is “I agree completely!” And, again, I agree with you completely! It seems that I’ve been making the same comment to everyone. It’s very possible that my older brothers would disagree with this completely. I hope so for my parents’ sake

10. soberinvegas says:

this is such a thoughtful post–thank you for sharing. Laughter is so incredible and can soothe away so much pain!

11. lorriedeck says:

Aw, that makes me sad because when I think of my dad, invariably, he is laughing. That makes my heart glad. And I’m glad you and yours have found the laughter.

12. Pingback: Spread Love Like Syphilis – I'm Sick and So Are You

13. I feel very strongly about the need to laugh too, be it with the kids, or simply being able to feel relaxed enough and confident to laugh out loud. I will sometimes catch myself laughing way too loud in places that are not meant for it, and people will stare at me. Not the ones I’m there with, because obviously I’m not completely nuts and being silly on my own. What better thing is there than have a laughing fit where everyone is crying tears in the end? It’s definitely a good stress-relieving factor as well, as at work, I always tell every one to take it with humour or else they’ll just suffocate in the job.

14. Pingback: Spread Love Like Syphilis – I'm Sick and So Are You