Yes! I’m A Neanderthal!

Barb Knowles’ Neanderthal Percentage from The Genographic Project

My dearest goal has been reached.  As you all know, one of my biggest, oddest dreams is to have Neanderthal DNA.  I just think that it is so very, very cool.  Yes, it’s a tiny percentage. Just 1.5%.  But it’s a tiny bit bigger than the average tiny bit in this project.

What does this mean?  Besides the obvious, that I’m wicked cool.

According the National Geographic Genographic Project, “As our modern human ancestors migrated through Eurasia, they met other hominin species and interbred. These “cousin” species, like the Neanderthals, are now extinct, but the genetic makeup of nearly everyone born outside of Africa today includes 1 to 2 percent DNA from these hominins, living relics of ancient encounters.”

Therefore, as far as Neanderthal DNA goes, I’m not unique.

I am an imp, though.

I want to go back in time and tell Cotton Mather, my 1st cousin, 10x removed, that he has Neanderthal DNA.  How would that have played in Massachusetts?

This Neanderthal Anglo-Saxon wants to get an ax, go to her hut and build a fire.

My goal has been achieved.

This entry was posted in genealogy, humor and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Yes! I’m A Neanderthal!

1. adropofmocha says:

Hello, fellow Neanderthal! I recently did the DNA test through National Geographic, and come to find out that I have 2.4% Neanderthal DNA. I wish I could go back in time and meet them. I’d thank them for handing down their awesome brows, and I credit them for giving me absurdly sturdy bones.

2. cool, but remember Neanderthals made their own axes so no cheating and stopping by the hardware store for an ax or matches on the way to your hut.

Just say’n

3. It’s cool of what you found out!

4. Congratulations! Now I am curious as to what my Neanderthal score is…

I knew there was something – 1.5%, to be exact – off about you.

6. I am so happy for you. I did know that you are wicked cool.

I never took the DNA test, though many people have told me that I am in large part Neanderthal.

Congrats! At both being part Neanderthal, and also for being the sort of person who had to take a DNA test to find out!

9. Maggie says:

Wow, so cool. I just sent in a DNA swab to be tested, although I’m not sure they test for Neanderthal. So interesting.

I did mine first through Ancestry DNA Then I did the National Geographic one….I think it’s called Genographic Project. That was the one that showed Neanderthal and migration patterns. But today I logged onto Ancestry DNA (which i do every day) and they are copying the migration idea, in my opinion from Ancestry. Other people I know like different ones. Good luck to you! The results are always interesting.

10. simonjkyte says:

You are related to Cotton Mather then?

11. simonjkyte says:

I wonder if we are about to find out completely upending things about neanderthal creativity