The Day I Was Electrocuted

On my 21st birthday, my parents sent me down to take ice cream out of the old freezer that they kept in the garage.  I was supposed to bring up a container of vanilla and one of neopolitan.  As I went barefoot down the wooden steps to the garage I thought yuck.  I hate neopolitan ice cream.

Just as I reached for the freezer handle, I noticed how humid the cement floor was.  I grabbed the handle and it is not possible to describe the level of electricity that was coursing through my body.  I could not let go of the handle.

I was being electrocuted and I knew that I was going to die.

I tried to lift my left arm up, thinking I could use it to help pull my right hand off of the metal handle, but could not move.

Immediately I heard laughter and realized that it was not coming from within the room; it was inside me.  Not only did I realize that I was dying, but I knew I was going to hell. Then I was aware of an arm hovering over my arm.  As that arm pulled up and over to my right hand, my own arm went up and over to my right hand.  I was able to pull my hand free of the freezer.

I flew over the car and landed on the woodpile in the garage.  And screamed my head off.  It seemed like 20 minutes had gone by, but my parents, who came running as soon as they heard me scream, said it was only a minute or two between when I went downstairs and when I started to scream.

That was 40+ years ago and it didn’t occur to anyone that perhaps I should go to the hospital.  I was physically okay, although I do have cardiac atrial fibrillation. So who knows?

Spiritually I was a mess.  And still am, I suppose.  There is no doubt in my mind that I was dying and that God intervened.  No doubt that it was God’s arm suspended over mine that saved me.  And before you ask, no I didn’t “see” the arm over mine, I just knew it was there.  Is that what they call a vision?  I don’t know.

I was being electrocuted, and with utter conviction, I know my life was saved by the hand of God.

This entry was posted in religion and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to The Day I Was Electrocuted

1. oh my!! That was scary!!! How did that happen?

My parents threw out the freezer the next day. For whatever reason it shorted out and my bare feet on the damp concrete did something. My father blamed it on my not wearing sneakers. I guess with rubber soles it wouldn’t have been so bad? Idk. Scary scary scary.

2. Excellent post! Truly shocking…I am sure that it will generate some buzz in the comments section.

3. That is very scary! It is truly a miracle that you were ok. (And especially to have it happen on your birthday… yeesh.)

On a lighter note, though: how can you not like Neapolitan ice cream?I? 🙂

For a second there I wondered where the car came from. Then I realized you were in the garage and not the basement.

Did I say basement? I have to check. My parents condo was on a hill, so you had to go downstairs to their garage, which also had a pretty large part on the side that would be a basement. I noticed when I was editing the post that I called it basement sometimes and garage another time. I didn’t want it to be confusing. Either way, the car was where it was supposed to be. I just didn’t end up where I was supposed to be lol.

5. It was scary! 40 years later, you still remember it as vivid as just a few minutes ago. It was your guardian angel who lifted up your right hand. God’s messenger who is your personal guard. Yes, God saved you for a reason!!

6. bluestempond says:

Wow – and that’s not fiction? I’m curious whether that incident changed your life in any other ways?

I believe you. And can’t imagine how scary that must have been, and how profoundly you must have been effected (affected?) by it.

Side topic: It’s a joke in our office because I’m a grammar nerd but have trouble with affect/effect. I have to go through this mental thing where I say to myself “it’s a verb and verb has an e so effect should be the verb but it’s the opposite so it’s affect.” Not counting the social worky “She has a flat affect.”

8. dawnkinster says:

Whoa! That story is scary. I imagine that it’s the kind of thing you don’t ‘get over’ at all. Ever. And maybe or maybe not you were meant to do something. You may never know what exactly you’ve ever done that has changed something for someone in a good way. I think if you live your life in a good way you’ve done your job.

I hope that I’m living my life in a good way. I have had a lot of tragedy and a lot of joy. Probably everyone can say that. I’m a high school teacher and I hope that I’ve impacted at least a few lives. You make a good point that we don’t realize the effect (that’s right lol) our actions or inaction have on others.

9. I’m so glad I found your post – this is an electrifying story (sorry, had to do that) but seriously, I totally believe that God/the life spirt intervened and kept you alive. You had more to do on this earth. I’m glad you’re still around!

10. Wow Barb! I know we joke about the fact the kids these days have it so much easier than we did. That our parents never would have required us to wear helmets while bicycling, or not ride in the bed of the truck.
    But this is really intense, even by my standards. Glad you made it through (relatively) intact!

11. Amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

12. Wow! I had a very similar experience when I was a child, but I don’t remember it quite as vividly as you do. I was swimming that day, and I was only about 3 or 4 years old, because I remember the house we had with the pool. I was soaking wet and I ran into the garage to get a Popsicle, my mom always kept a freezer full of the popsicles that you pushed up in the tube. I was soaking wet and standing in front of the fridge in a puddle and when I opened the door. I was stuck to the refrigerator handle and could feel the electricity running through my body. I don’t know how long it lasted but I was able to pull myself free and get the hell out of there. Looks like we both made it out alive. I wasn’t thrown from it as you were. Scary!